Sulphate-free shampoo showdown: TIGI, Burt's Bees, Nature's Gate, Body Shop - Cosmetopia Digest Beauty and Makeup Blog

technology

makeup

Category 6 (Carousel)

Cult Beauty Ltd.
Space NK UK

Monday, February 25, 2013

Sulphate-free shampoo showdown: TIGI, Burt's Bees, Nature's Gate, Body Shop

I hope everyone enjoyed the Oscars. I sat up with a bowl of pico de gallo and Pringles :)
I've been using sulphate-free shampoo for a while now and I find a huge reduction in dryness, frizziness and split ends. I'm willing to say that under oath! I've tried many brands from Kiehl's to Deva Curl. Here are my favourite four, in no particular order, and my unbiased review of each. You can click the pictures to enlarge and read the labels.


1. TIGI Rockaholic: Great smell (of goji berry), thick formula. A little of the product goes a long way. My hair goes down to my mid-back and I need a tablespoon of this. I have to dilute it with water. If you oil your hair, this shampoo will clean up all oils from coconut and jojoba to almond, rice bran and olive oil. An extra point for the packaging, as it adds vibrance to my bathroom shelf. Salon exclusive but you can also find it online. My only issue is, as it produces a lot of lather, it wouldn't have a harsh surfactant, would it? Also, I don't see where the "energy" they've claimed in the front label comes in.

2. The Body Shop Rainforest Moisture: Lovely smell. The formula is runny enough, but they recommend diluting it, so I add a handful of water to a tablespoon of the shampoo - that is more than enough for my scalp and hair. Again, it cleans up all oils very well, but doesn't dry the hair out or strip it of moisture. My hair feels very soft after use. I used it once without diluting and it felt a bit dry, so adding water is very important for best results.

3. Burt's Bees More Moisture Raspberry and Brazil Nut: I had a tough time finalising between the Grapefruit and Sugar Beet and this one, but went with this for its mild smell. This shampoo doesn't lather as much as the above two. It feels very gentle on the hair and reduces frizz. Problem is, you need a lot of the product, especially if you have oiled your hair. You see the amount missing in that bottle? I had to use that much for one wash, which was about four-five tablespoons.
4. Nature's Gate Jojoba: Just the right formula - not too runny, not too thick. Feels gentle and has a mild fragrance. My observation is, if you haven't oiled your hair, this is a great gentle cleanser. But if you have oiled your hair, you will have some greasiness left post-shampoo. I tried it after using olive oil, almond oil and coconut oil - didn't work, there was oil left all over the roots. So I use it when I haven't oiled my hair.
Here's the self-made pico de gallo I ate during the Oscars :)
I know I've left out quite a lot of brands (I've liked John Masters, Naturoli, Beeology, Jason...) but you have to stop somewhere, so I'm mentioning only my regulars and most frequent re-purchases.

P.S. What suits my hair and skin may not suit everyone else's. What smells good to me may smell rotten to you - suggest patch testing and trials. Also, the conditioner I used after trying these out wasn't always from the same range.

6 comments:
Write comments